SEO is one of the most essential tools you need to know when running a site. With SEO you’re able to effectively grow your audience by just using the correct keywords and making sure your blog titles are titled correctly. With plugins like Yoast SEO, you don’t have to be an SEO wizard to know where you’re making mistakes in your writing and what keywords are right for that particular post. You can also refer to a checklist to quickly get the knowledge of what you should be doing outside of having a tool like a plugin. Scroll below for a complete SEO checklist to use on your next blog post.
SEO Blog Checklist
- Research keywords to use for your post with tools like keywordtool.io or kwfinder.com
- Rename all of your image files with the selected keywords for that blog post before uploading to WordPress
- Add the appropriate keywords to the Yoast Focus Keyword box (this is the main word you want your post to be found under through search)
- Change the permalink to include keywords and never use stop words. With Yoast, it’ll let you know if a stop word is used and to change it
- Make sure your blog post title includes the focus keyword
- Add alt text to your images once they are uploaded into WordPress
- Make sure all blog post are more than 300 words
- Before posting, make sure focus keywords, and any other keywords are included throughout the body of the post, and you aren’t linking keywords. It’s best to use these in the first paragraph, so Google picks it up easier
- Add header tags to break up content; Never use H1 because that is the blog post title
- Always add a meta description to describe what the post is about and include the focus keyword
- Make sure to interlink to another post on your site that is relevant. This will help with your decrease in bounce rate
With the right SEO strategy, you can grow your blog audience in no time. I know we depend on social media a ton which is also a crucial part in building your audience, but with your site, you own this content. It’s so important to make sure you put your all into it and keep up to date on any new strategies to grow. If you use any of the tips above on the checklist, let me know how it goes.